November 3, 2008

Angel's Landing






We decided that since Benjamin and Emily were in town we should go on a hike to Angel's Landing in Zion. We had heard a lot about it, and thought, "hey, we're pro hikers, we can do that hike easily." Well apparently everyone we know that has gone on that hike is more pro than we are. We (and by "we" I mean myself, not Tim), struggled a bit to make it up to the top. Thankfully, because of the treacherous terrain, there were several times we had to stop to let people coming back from the peak pass on the path. I'm sure those people thought we were just being nice to let them pass so they wouldn't fall off the cliff, but really, we just needed a break. Brooklyn was even winded from the hike, and she was riding in a pack on Tim's back (early Christmas present). Anyways, several hours into our never-ending workout, we finally made it to the top. I was a little nervous taking Brooklyn up the last part because of how high and scray it was, but of course, she was just fine. In fact, she slept through much of it. We took tons of pictures, and then high-tailed it down the trail to make sure we made it off the mountain before dark-- and before the last shuttle came. All in all, it was a pretty fun hike, though next time, we'll definitely plan a little better:

1. plan to take more time than we did
2. don't carry 5 pounds of Halloween candy up the mountain for "nourishment"
3. find the elevator
4. wear cooler clothes
5. wear more deodorant and take samples to pass out to others
6. hire a sherpa to carry sufficient water supplies

I'm sure there were more things that we mentioned doing differently the next time, but I can't remember.
Anyways-- we made it back late that night and managed to survive until we could order a pizza and pick it up.
We spent the rest of the weekend playing a Pirates Cove game and Oodles--- both were lots of fun.
Thanks to Benjamin and Emily for making the trip down here! We had a great time!

2 comments:

Mical and Diana said...

We're glad you found our blog. We didn't even know you guys had one. It sounds like you had fun at Zions. I've always wanted to hike Angel's Landing.

Mandy said...

How fun! It's a good think Brooklyn doesn't eat all of your candy... I think she was eying it.