September 1, 2009

I'm thinking about writing a book.

I've been thinking about this since I was pregnant with Brooklyn (no, I am not pregnant right now). I'm not sure what the title would be... I'm still working on that. Originally I thought I might just write about the things that I learned during pregnancy. But now that I have a toddler, I think maybe it should be a book about the things you learn during motherhood. There would be different sections based on the different ages of children. First section would be : things I learned during pregnancy. Second section: Things I learned While I had an infant. Third: Things I learned while I had a toddler. Fourth: Things I learned while I had a child... then teenager, then young adult. What do you think?

I would definitely need input from lots of mothers. So really it would be a compilation of things learned. Here's my work-in-process of things I learned while pregnant. I would really appreciate additions to this list. And one day, when it's published, you can say you were part of my multi-million dollar book.


Things I learned Throughout Motherhood
A compilation of thoughts from the sane, and insane

Section 1: Things I Learned During Pregnancy and Soon After Child-Birth
  • Eat healthy-- but sometimes you have to eat whatever doesn't make you think of vomitting
  • I never "glowed"
  • The weightlessness of being in a pool is wonderful
  • You don't think you could ever be in enough pain to want a stranger to stick a 12 inch needle in your spine, but you will
  • You will probably want a stash of Tums everywhere. This includes the kitchen, bathroom, nightstand, car, purse, pockets, porch, family room, and hall closet
  • You will get fat, and possibly even in every place that you never thought could even accumulate fat, like your ears for example
  • It is worth spending whatever it costs to buy some maternity clothes that you feel "cute" in
  • "Cute" is relative
  • Just because you were noble enough to carry a baby for nine months and then give birth does not mean that the pounds will come off easier than the last time you tried to lost weight
  • You will still look VERY pregnant when you leave the hospital
  • You will never think you have enough money or stuff to have a baby, so don't let that be a deciding factor.
  • The handicap bathroom stalls will eventually be necessary because of your size. On the up side, they also have hand rails to help you stand back up again
  • At your 6 week checkup after birth, the doctor will probably tell you that everything looks "normal." It is normal to completely disagree.
  • For some reason, people don't judge pregnant women for more-than-normal bodily sounds. You may want to take advantage of this.
  • It's ok to let dishes pile up in your kitchen
  • When those piles of dishes start smelling and you can't handle it, call a cleaning company.
  • If you can't afford a cleaning company, spray body-spray on a towel, wrap it around your face, and proceed to clean. Keep a vomit bucket nearby.
  • Using an electric toothrush may make you nausious
  • Make sure someone throws a baby shower for you
  • Your husband will tell you that you're beautiful when you don't feel so beautiful. Listen to him.
  • Read-- while you still have time
  • Sleep-- while you still have time
  • Eat-- while you still have time
  • Shower-- while you still have time
  • Take profile pictures of your growing belly. They will be fun to look back at.
  • You won't care who sees you naked when you're in hard labor.
  • "I'm eating for two" doesn't make sense when your baby is smaller than a bean. In fact, it doesn't make sense ever-- however, this doesn't mean you can't say and do it.
  • You will have to urinate every time you go to the doctor. Don't go before you leave home.
  • Find a doctor that you like. He will be seeing a lot of you
  • When you hold your baby for the first time, you will realize it was all worth it

So that's all I have for now. Any more ideas?

I guess I should start working on sections two and three now.

6 comments:

Ben, Tana, B.A., and Dirk said...

I think that it is a wonderful idea, you should do it. (if you want any advice on c-sections do's and don't's I am full of them). During pregnancy do what works for you, if it takes diet coke to rid yourself of morning sickness your child will not be deformed or hyperactive. It is not okay to touch a strangers belly, even or especially when she is pregnant. Moving throughout your pregnancy will make it better afterwards. No need to weigh yourself the day after you give birth, but it is funny. If someone offers to give you a pedicure, take it, if no one offers go get one. Do whatever you need to to stay cool (laying in front of a fan with minimal clothes on and an ice cream in hand comes to my mind). When someone offers to do something for you, like carry something for you, let them, they get to serve and you are in less discomfort. Kick your feet up everyday. That is all that is on the tip of my mind but plenty long enough for a comment.

Jocelyn and Ryan said...

Here is my input:

No one told me that I would need four separate stages of clothes when I got pregnant. Stage 1)Clothes for that weird stage where you feel like you've got a belly but others think you're just gaining weight (shirts that will disguise the rubber-banded buttons on your pants etc) Stage 2)Cute maternity clothes that allow for growth, Stage 3)Stretch pants and the hubby's T-shirts for the way uncomfortable times towards the end, and 4)The after pregnancy clothes since your hips won't even begin to squeeze into the pants you wore WHILE I was pregnant, and shirts that are loose enough to cover the floppy skin/fat you have (and buy enough to last AT LEAST 6 months because hips don't go down in size fast)

I wish someone would have REALLY told me about stage #4 because I thought I could just wear my maternity clothes... WRONG! And going out to buy clothes that aren't maternity and that are 4-6 sizes larger than what you used to wear is harder to do when you have a baby. :)

haha- Thanks for letting me vent!

Morgan & Heidi Taylor said...

I like what you wrote! I forgot about some of the things that you wrote- like tums stashed everywhere! I asked my husband if he had any advice for husbands of pregnant women and he said, "there are a lot of things going on with hormones, etc- so don't take your wife or yourself too seriously just love her unconditionally." I don't know if I have anything to add just now but if I think of something I'll comment on your blog! Hope you are doing good!

The Marchant Family: said...

Amber, you are such a great writer! I always laugh at your posts (a favorite is your monsters in the bedroom post). I could think of many things to add, but a couple are: learn the rubber band trick so you can expand your regular jeans to make them wearable for a few more weeks. And don't go out and buy a ton of maternity clothes-beg and borrow and just realize that you can add to your collection with each kid. There's really only a short window that you wear them anyway and you can live with only a weeks worth. Keep up the posts, I love them!

Amber said...

Note to self-- Katie's ideas...

-even when your husband isnt telling you youre beautiful, and youre not feeling it either, you are growing a baby and that in itself makes you beautiful
-even if theres no choice but to go natural, it wont be as bad as you expected
-people will try to tell you what to do and how to do things, but you cant listen to them. do what works for you
-the hardest things in life are the most rewarding

.:Shurtliff Fam:. said...

I say go for it. I was reading some of you newer posts and was actually thinking, "She should be a writer." You just have a way with words. You are so great! Wish I was as creative as you. One of these days I will find my "talent" somewhere.