November 18, 2010

Goodbye Gallbladder, Hello Doughnuts

I know I still need to give a few more details about the recent visit of the big bad wolf and his family. All in due time. However, a little more detail about my gallbladder. (I know you've been dying to hear about it!)

After Lydia was born I started having random "attacks," the worst of which was when Brooks and Miranda visited. You've heard all of this... at Miranda's urging, and after more painful episodes I found the best gastrointerologist ever. A few appointments, an ultrasound, and some blood-work later and I was informed that I "was the proud owner of about 24 gallstones."

I'm not sure PROUD is the word I would use to describe this ownership, but it is what it is. I'm proud of my kids and husband, and will certainly be proud to own a home... but gallstones? I think not. At any rate, don't tell the IRS because you better believe I'm not paying taxes on them...

Anyways, back to the doctor. He recommended I have surgery, and told me I needed to meet with the surgeon. This is where "best gastrointerologist ever" comes in. In light of our personal situation (living two hours away and having two young children that have to keep traveling back and forth to these appointments), the "best gastrointerologist ever," aka Dr. Chuang, personally called the surgeon and requested that he fit us into his schedule THAT day so we didn't have to make another trip. The surgeon, as well as his partners, had completely booked schedules, but after more pleading from Dr. Chuang, somehow managed to squeeze us in.

My faith in doctors has been restored.

Anyways, as a result, I am scheduled to have my gallbladder removed tomorrow morning. They just called to tell me my 8:30 arrival time has been changed to 5:30, so apparently the surgery time got moved up. I'm not going to lie, leaving my house at 4am is not ideal, but hey, earlier gone, earlier home right?

Thankfully, Tim's mom was able to drop everything in her life and come down to stay with our kids. Hopefully they aren't too unmanageable (Brooklyn's in the middle of being potty-trained and Lydia won't take a bottle), but if anyone can do it, I know she can. She's amazing.

So goodbye gallbladder, and hello fried foods (Especially doughnuts. I've really been craving one), cheese, and all things fattening. This low-fat/fat-free diet has really been lame. Just in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hallelujah!


P.S.The jury is still out on whether we can keep the gallstones to make personalized earrings and/or Christmas ornaments. If we have your name for Christmas, keep your fingers crossed. :)

5 comments:

Kathryn Lewis said...

Good luck! I had mine out when I was in high school. It is so wonderful to eat those foods again, but be warned it isn't immediate. It took me years to fully enjoy those fatty-fried foods again. Just take it easy...it will be way better in the long run, and very worth all the recovery! You are a rock, you will be up and running in no time! You'll be in our prayers :) And yeah for great doctors!!!

Callie said...

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help, especially when Leona leaves. We are happy to make the trip. We would need some pointers on what to do to entertain the girts while we were there but we are great babysitters (if I may say so myself).

Jennie said...

Aw man! Good luck tomorrow! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Coralie said...

Glad I'm not on your Christmas list.

Haha ;)

Good luck tomorrow!!!

The Joslin's said...

Amber I'm so glad you found us!!!! Sorry to hear about your gallbladder issues. I hope that went well!! BTW Your girlies are SO cute!!