And so do I. In fact, sometimes I just want to sew something, or deep-clean something, or even grow something that doesn't call me "mom."
We love planting our garden, and last year the beans grew and grew, and then shriveled and died on the vine. Because, we learned, we don't really care for fresh, crisp green beans. Rather, I don't. And there weren't enough to make it worth canning, so basically, they just took up room in the garden.
| yes, these are my beans! |
I was shocked to learn that my gigantic bag of beans taking up so much room in my fridge, after snapping, only filled 7 pint jars. What a let-down. I was sure I would have at least 30 pints. But no. All of that work, for a measly 7 pints? Then again, that is 7 sides for meals for our family. Nonetheless, it was disappointing.
But we kept the canner a little longer, and I have spent some more time canning. To this date, we have 27 pints of green beans. I feel like a brand new mom, so proud of my little jars. If only they were cuter...
I do wish the beans could keep the same brilliant green as when they are fresh. Because let's be real, the canned beans look less-than-appetizing. But truth be told, they taste great!
Am I domestic? On most days, not so much. But I do get these incredible urges to be domestic sometimes, and occasionally it even works out like I planned!
1 comment:
Kevin and I think you should be a columnist :) you are such a creative writer and I always love reading your posts. Way to go with the canning! I have also learned that canning pears isn't worth the hastle but there's something so satisfying about canning your own food.
Post a Comment