July 4, 2012

The next great motivational speaker... ME?

Many of you know that I went to Young Women's Girls Camp a few weeks ago.  What you might not have known was that I was asked to present a 2 hour morality workshop for all of the Mia Maids (14-15 year old girls) while we were at camp.

Talk about STRESSFUL.

Talk about a LONG TIME to talk to bored 14 year-olds.

I had a few months to prepare, all of which was sorely needed, and here's what I've decided since then:
I think I want to be a motivational/inspirational speaker-- specifically for youth.  You know, a "John Bytheway" or "Sheri Dew" type.  Unfortunately, "Amber Shurtliff" doesn't seem to roll off the tongue quite the same way.

Don't let me fool you, the morality workshop went ok, but there was nothing amazing to it.  Through the process of preparing and preparing and preparing, I just realized that I really like combining the funny, serious, spiritual, inspiring, etc. 
AND feeling like I had a chance to help someone else want to make good decisions was awesome.

Can't you see it?  Me, the next big motivational speaker.
 
Here's the problem.  There are a few things that might stop me from this new ambition.

1. I loathe public speaking.
Problematic?  Yes.  The fact is, I don't like anything where I have to be in front of a group of people, whether I'm speaking or not.  Just the thought that I might have to be in front of other people makes me nauseous.   

2. I cry WAY too much.
...specifically when it comes to topics that are really important to me.  Often, these are spiritual topics.  On the upside, a bout of crying does bring the audiences attention back to you.  On the downside, my voice goes all squeaky and my nose turns red.

3. I don't have anything motivating or inspiring to say. 
 Let's face it, in my short 26 years, I haven't had any major upheaval, just normal life.  I get that you can take "normal" and still have inspiring stories, but in general, I seem to be lacking in this category.

So in all honesty, it doesn't look like I have much going for me in the way of becoming a motivational speaker.  I have the desire, but am lacking in the rest of the requirements.  Oh well.  Maybe it'll happen down the road.

In the meantime, I'll just be a blogger.  Be inspired :)

1 comment:

Ben, Tana, B.A., and Dirk said...

I would come listen to you! Sounds like girls camp went well. That is good. Miss you guys.