October 24, 2008

Going to Georgia.

Now this, I HAVE to blog about. My mom and I discussed a possible trip to Georgia, or having her come visit us to see the baby. Seriously, she hadn't seen Brooklyn since she was 3 weeks old, so it was about time they met up again. We decided it made more sense for me to bring Brooklyn to GA, because then everyone could see her again. I agreed and the ticket was bought. Don't get the wrong idea about this post, the stay in Georgia was awesome, but getting there? Not so much. I was nervous about flying by myself with her because I didn't know how she would do, and without anyone to pass the baby off to... well, that's important sometimes. For starters, I don't think I have ever had as much attention as I received while walking through the LAS VEGAS airport with Brooklyn. Not one person walked by without smiling or saying something. They weren't smiling at me though, you know. I can't lie though-- she did look adorable in her white traveling sweatsuit. Anyways, plenty of people offered to help with her if I needed it-- unfortunately, none of them were on my flight. Go figure.. So, I learned some things while in the airport. It is really hard to go through security and practically disrobe yourself AND get dressed again while holding a baby. Yes, I decided that wearing flip-flops is a necessity while traveling with a baby, regardless of the weather. In addition, wearing a belt is not a good idea. Also, it is really hard to fill up a water bottle at a water fountain, and make a bottle while holding a baby. I didn't come up with any great ideas there. ... I think that's about it for waiting to board the plane. Now most importantly what I learned about flying with a baby. Babies are just like us! They do not like to be cramped into impossibly small seats for 4-5 hours, with no room to move around, particularly when it is 400 degrees. Needless to say, Brooklyn had a rough go of the traveling. Part of that could be because she slept in the car for 2 hours while we drove to Vegas. Then, because she doesn't take long naps, she would scream until she fell asleep for a few minutes on the plane, but then wake up mad again. And you know what? That's ok. She was just voicing what everyone else was feeling. But now, I have something to say about old grumpy people, people with hangovers, and those who do not like children. Listen, just because you lost a lot of money in Vegas, got on a plane hungover, are a lonely bachelor, and were never a child, DOES NOT mean you have a right to be rude to others. I was near breaking point with a screaming baby, stuck in a window seat when you so unkindly leaned up over the seat behind me and rudely asked me if I could not ask the stewardess to find a bottle for my baby. If I had had more gumption I would have thrown the bottle I already had at you, along with a very angry child and told you to give it your best shot. HUMPH.... Anyways, that's really all I have to say about that. Thankfully, there was a wonderful couple next to me who helped as much as they could. I'm kind of glad they were between me and the mean people. Atleast I felt a little protected, and you better believe they were protecting the grumpy people as well. There was no way I could fit out the aisle to jump on him with them sitting there. OK, so that was getting to Georgia. After that, the trip was wonderful. Brooklyn had a hard time adjusting to the time difference, but she LOVED seeing everyone. By the time we left she had Uncle Matthew, Aunt Anna, and Grandma and Grandpa SO wrapped around her little fingers! It was really nice for me to see all of them too. We climbed Stone Mountain, visited with friends, and went to a Corn Maze. Beside from those things, we were all busy sitting around, staring at Brooklyn and talking like babies. Thankfully, the return flight was not nearly as bad. I sat next to a mom and her little boy, with her husband and daughter behind us. Behind them were tons of their family-- all on their way to Vegas for a wedding. They were wonderful and the father of the Bride, a proud grandpa himself, wanted nothing more than to hold Brooklyn for a while (he put her to sleep as well!) They were great, and Brooklyn was much more enjoyable. Still, even at that, because I spent the better part of 4-5 hours doing my best to make her be as quiet as possible, it was still VERY draining emotionally, physically, mentally, etc. I hope Tim is on the next flight with me! Here are (probably too many) pictures from our trip to Georgia! Thanks for the ticket MOM and DAD! It was wonderful.

1 comment:

Jason and Jessica Bills said...

I totally understand traveling witha baby. At least you didn't have any layover and a flight canceled (at the layover) after waiting for HOURS! I am glad that you made it back without any MAJOR problems. I wish that I can go to Georgia. I am so jealous.