August 7, 2010

Warmup for Reality

So about two weeks ago I woke up feeling bold and courageous... I decided to go to the grocery store with both girls, and without Tim. Since we only needed bread, milk, and eggs, and Basha's is only 4 minutes away, I figured this grocery run was a good warmup for reality.

I loaded both girls into the truck because their carseats/bases were already in there, all the while convincing myself that "I COULD DO THIS." Minor setback when I stalled because I forgot I was driving a manual, but we were off! About 5 seconds down the road I realized I couldn't see out the back window. Then I realized I was pulling our 14 foot long enclosed trailer. Apparently we didn't unhitch it the night before...

I've never pulled a trailer before-- need I say more? I was terrified. I kept praying that the back door was locked, and that the safety chains and hitch were really still hooked up. But frankly, if that trailer had popped off, I might have just kept on driving. Chances are, I could have quickly ditched the trailer without anyone seeing that I was the idiot pulling it behind me to the grocery store...

Anyways, we made it to the store, and despite having to park pretty far away because I was nearly as long as a semi, I didn't crash, ditch the trailer, or run over an innocent pedestrian. SUCCESS.

The point of the quick grocery run was to see if I could sanely manage both girls while running necessary errands. I just chanced into the greater victory of learning to pull a trailer. Oh well. A few dollars later, with no tears shed and no public disciplining required, we had enough basics to atleast make dinner. I knew I was ready for the open road and a "real" day of shopping with the girls.

Wanna hear about our first full day out? Trust me, you do... to be continued...

No comments: