
Last week I went to the dentist for my bi-yearly torture session. Which, I will share, is noticeably LESS tortuous when your appointment is in the morning. This is before the stresses of a day's worth of patients can be taken out on your teeth and gums...
Anyways, at the end of my cleaning the hygienist told me that my "problem" area is around the corners of my teeth, and that I need to spend more time each day flossing around these corners.
I almost laughed, but then I realized she was serious.
She obviously didn't realize that "flossing around the corner of my teeth" is not a huge priority for me right now. Had we had more bonding time without my mouth stretched to the limits, I might have reminded her that I'm lucky if I get to brush my teeth twice a day, much less floss. Frankly, if I can shower atleast every other day and brush my teeth twice a day, it's been a darn good week.
My Priorities
1.Survival of my children. This includes but is not limited to the following: physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional well-being.
Specifically?
Physical: at least one nutritional meal a day as well as several other meal-ish/snack times, clean-ish clothing, baths as often as "stinky" child persists, medical attention when necessary, lots of hugs, exercising through dancing/jumping on my bed and playing tag, and diaper changes every once in a while
Mental: ample time singing the ABC's, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, The Wheels on the Bus, I Am A Child of God, etc., drawing, pretend games, learning numbers
Spiritual: reading scriptures, praying, trying to teach obedience
Emotional: plenty of "I love you," "you're beautiful," "you're so smart and so funny" as well as lots of hugs, kisses, and individual holding time
2. Survival of my husband and self. See above specifics.
3. Sleep
4-100. Other really important things
101. Basic, but not necessarily "critical" (Sorry Mandy...) hygiene rituals. Example: flossing around the corners of my teeth and painting my toenails
My teeth may fall out, but with any luck I can raise healthy and happy children.
I guess I'll keep going to the dentist so my teeth have a guaranteed flossing session at least twice a year.
4 comments:
what a funny post!!! I feel EXACTLY the same way!!!!! So glad to hear it from another mom... especially one that ALWAYS looks so put together!!
Christa Johnson
I'll try to pretend that I didn't read this! ;) I should also add that I pretty much don't floss anymore because it makes me want to puke... but you didn't hear that coming from a hygienist. Want to come back and visit- we can schedule a torture session for your gums?
I alomst had the same thing happen to me at the dentist. They told Daniel he was a great brusher and that I needed some work. But they Failed to remember...
1. 19 weeks of upchuking while prego with Lucy
2. The Child
3. Brushing the Childs teeth while brushing mine.
4. And every other little thing that seems to happen while you are trying to actually take care of yourself for once.
See your not alone.
I am impressed that you brush your teeth twice a day. I feel accomplished if I do once.
Post a Comment