February 20, 2011

My First "REAL" Cake

We were invited to a birthday party for two adorable little boys and I sneakily coerced the mom of the birthday boys into letting me make the cake for the party. Ok, not really. It wasn't sneaky at all. I just begged. What can I say, I really want some practice! In all honesty, it was wonderful of them to let me use their birthday cake as practice. Talk about being a trusting guinea pig.

The theme of the party was Magic/Magicians. It was AWESOME. The kids were all invited to share magic tricks at the magic show (great idea by the way), the food was delish, they went on a scavenger hunt, made magical pinwheels, opened presents (of course) and watched a short Disney/Pixar clip about Presto the Magician. I hope my kids don't hold me up to the same standard for their birthday parties because this one couldn't be topped.



So like I said, I made the cake, and I had a blast doing it. I learned a TON, by trial and error of course... and was pleasantly surprised with how the cake turned out. Surprisingly, I didn't stress out a ton (except for the few times I felt like a neglectful/bad mom for working on the cake instead of playing with the girls) until we had to transport the cake. Snow, rain, hail, some minor sliding in the trunk and a few repairs later, and relief was mine. The cake was delivered intact, and it tasted pretty good too!

I LOVE making cakes. Like, I lose sleep at night thinking about how to make them because I'm so excited. Hopefully I'll get to hone my skills on some trusting friends in the future.



8 comments:

Jason and Jessica Bills said...

That is impressive. I love that cake. That party sounds awesome too. I will have to put it into my hat for future parties.

Sheri said...

Wow, that is AMAZING! Great job! My birthday is next month...

Jennie said...

This is awesome! You are truly amazing! What a talent.

The Marchant Family: said...

Wow! Wow! That's pretty much all I can think of to say. That is so cool! I'm impressed with your new skill and wish you lived close enough to make me cakes...just for fun :)

Justin and Coralie said...

Your cake is AMAZING. You have quite the talent, girl!

Jamie said...

You are so talented! I can't wait to see more cakes in the future!

Ashley and Daniel Tanner said...

The cake looks great and you can tell that you put time into it. I have some super cute pic of the girls from when they were over I try and remember to email it.

Callie said...

Thanks so much for making the boys' cake. They loved it and still talk about it. They dissected every inch of that cake and ate it all. One little girl wouldn't leave the party without taking a bunny ear with her.
I have had a couple people already ask for your number so here's hoping you wanted a booming business, you've definitely got the talent.