October 16, 2010

True confession: I'm a list cheater

True confession. I'm a compulsive lister.

I need lists for everything, partially because of my horrible memory, but more so because I like the feeling I get when I cross something off that list. Let's call it a "high of completion." I have lists for the grocery store, lists for Walmart, birthday idea lists, to-do lists, etc. I mean, who doesn't?

True confession. I'm a list cheater.

Some days I don't sit down to write a list until lunchtime; the first chance I get to sit down when both children are strapped to chairs. Even though I have already gotten a few things done, you better believe I'm still going to write them down on my list, simply so I can cross them off again. A waste of ink and paper? Perhaps, but it is quite the boost to my sense of accomplishment.

Example:

Sure it's lunchtime and I have already done half of the list, but that's why it's so great writing all of those already-accomplished-things down! Besides, then if the house is a mess, I'm a mess, the dishes aren't done, and dinner's not planned, I can still feel like I accomplished something. I mean, check out how many things I crossed off already. You should really try it sometime. I won't judge.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Seriously, Amber...I can't believe how much we are alike.

Aaron and Jodi said...

that makes me laugh. I love the idea. I will have to try it because I usually go to bed every night feeling like I didn't do a thing!

Melissa Zuber said...

This post made me laugh. I am so glad I am not alone.

AggieMay said...

You can cross blog off the list now. :)