January 4, 2010

Our Pet Squash

When Mom and Dad Shurtliff stopped to visit while passing through our neck of the woods this summer, they brought some of the long-awaited produce from their garden. While we were living in Enterprise with them, we (meaning mostly Tim) helped prepare and plant the garden, but unfortunately, we moved right before most of the produce was ready for picking. Thankfully, the garden was explosive and they had much more than they needed, and they were nice enough to bring us some. We enjoyed spaghetti squash, carrots, green beans, etc... but our favorite was the banana squash. It was more of a second child really. So we had a little fun with it and took some family pictures for home evening one night. This was the night before it was sacrificed to feed the masses (note: we do not typically sacrifice our children to feed the masses). And when I say it could feed the masses, IT COULD. I mean, check out the size of that thing. We were pretty sure it would go bad before we could even make a dent in it, so we dispersed chunks of it to everyone we could think of. (I think we fed half of the ward...)




I wasn't sure how to cook it so we tried a couple of different toppings: butter with salt and pepper, butter with cinnamon-sugar, and butter with... I can't remember the last. Clearly, it is good with butter, but I think my favorite was the salt and pepper. Surprising huh...
Now if you're wondering how to produce squash the size of the one you see here... I can tell you. When preparing your garden in a desert with dirt as rocky and hard as you can imagine, plow by hand.

1 comment:

Dotted Owl Crafts said...

That's Awesome!! We like to sautee squash with some butter, red onion and salt and pepper. It is the best! Next time around give it a try.